Just before we pack our bags and board our planes (airport strikes depending) we wanted to share some useful advice on how to get media features during the summer and how to organize your social networks so they keep running smoothly while you’re on your no doubt, well deserved holidays
The news industry isn’t closed for holidays
Not long ago, the world of communication would stop during the summer, in Spain at least. Nowadays, it´s not the case: our screen obsessed society needs new information to scroll through even during the holidays. So the communications and marketing effort needs to move ahead at full throttle. So, if you can’t beat it own it why not make the most of this new trend?
At Canela PR we promise ourselves over and over again to submit to a strict digital Detox diet, BUT in spite of that we are constantly checking our mobile and tablet, just in case…
And, as we mentioned last year at this time, in the era of mobile phones and social networks, news consumption doesn’t stop, not even at holidays. On the contrary!!
Do you know that during the summer…?
- 46% of people travelling consult digital journals (source: AIMC).
- The fixed Internet consumption lowers, but mobile internet consumption grows by 10% (MásMovil).
- More than 13 million Spaniards are connected every day to Facebook from their mobile devices.
- We share 2.6 times more photos on social networks than the rest of the year (Facebook).
- Searches related to finding a partner boost (Google).
- Journeys, hotels and restaurants´ online booking grows by 13%, (Offerum).
How to appear in media during summer
Although many journalists are off on their holidays, media newsrooms continue to operate in summer and need engaging content for their readers. Therefore:
- Check the editorial calendars of each media. Most of them prepare special editions for summer in which content related to this period of year can be found. Special editions are prepared in advance, so contacting the journalists a few weeks earlier to find out what they are working on and how your brand can participate, is a good place to start.
- Look for “fresh” topics to propose to the media. At this time of the year, any news that include the words “summer” in the headline, “holiday”, “travel”, “beaches”, etc. is likely to arouse the interest of journalists. Also, it is good bear in mind the “silly season” news: a type of information that during the rest of the year doesn´t seem interesting, but that during the summer season become news across media, such as robberies in homes, raging tourists, etc.
- Select the appropriate format for each story. Press releases are still useful, but according to the topic and the type of media it may work better to propose an opinion article, an interview with an expert or a media tour. And if you are targeting digital media or social networks, you should develop multimedia content for sharing such as infographics or microvideos.
How to keep on going your marketing actions in summer
Aside from sending your stories to media, in summer you should make sure that your marketing and social networks keep running, even when you go on vacation. To achieve this:
- Program your social networks posts. With tools like Hootsuite, you can have prepared in advance your updates for social networks to make sure your Facebook wall or your Twitter account are updated constantly. This will guarantee to keep gaining followers, mentions and visits while you’re on vacation. Although, you should continuously take a look at the comments and respond, especially if you have a shop or other online business.
- Automate your marketing shipments. In summer you can also keep sending your newsletter. It’s only a matter of preparing in advance and using an application like MailChimp, which also manages the subscriptions. You can even go further and automate your marketing, scheduling mailings related to certain actions: for example, sending a message of gratitude when someone subscribes, a message with information when someone downloads an eBook, etc.
- Provide automated customer service. More and more companies use chatbots to automate customer service. You can integrate them in your online store to help visitors to find what they are looking for, or at social networks to answer queries or even in the phone service. The trend is to convert chatbots in the first option of the company´s customer service.
These are the keys to make sure that your communication and your marketing continue to operate throughout the summer. We never close for holidays and we always have a part of our team ready to jump in, but on behalf of all of us, we want to wish you happy holidays. We hope that you will manage to disconnect and have the opportunity to come back with the batteries fully charged!