More and more brands are banking on microinfluencers, a variant of marketing with influencers that has become one of the most prominent trends in public relations in 2018. But, what exactly are microinfluencers? What differentiates them from an influencer or a celebrity? And above all… how do we work with them? Here’s how…
Honey, I’ve shrunk the Influencers
Not all influencers are the same
First of all, let’s clarify about the differences between types of influencers:
- Celebrities (>100.000 followers): they are famous people inside and outside of social media, capable of influencing any area for which they are famous. Their recommendations reach many people; the size of their communities is their best weapon.
- Macro influencers (10.000-100.000 followers): they are famous in social media, but normally only on social media. They have a large community of followers in which they have influence, although they don’t maintain a personalized relationship with them.
- Influencers (5.000-10.000 followers): this type of profile has an important community in social media, but whose size allows them to maintain a close relationship with their followers and make recommendations in a personalized way.
- Microinfluencers (<5.000 followers): they are people who have a certain popularity in social media, maintain a close relationship with their followers and are also experts or have credibility in a subject, which allows them to influence in favor of a brand.
In this sense, microinfluencers stand out for addressing very specific audiences or niche markets, in which they have small but highly loyal and active communities. This proximity makes them take more care of the contents they share and the relationship with their followers.
The recommendations of the microinfluencers, although they don’t have the reach that a celebrity or a macroinfluencer can achieve, can be more effective. For example, according to a study by Markerly specialized consultant, instagrammers with less than a thousand followers receive an 8% Like in their publications, compared to 1.6% of accounts with more than 10 million followers, and 13 times more comments. For its part, an infographic from ExpertVoice, another consultant in the sector, points out that microinfluencers achieve 22% more conversions than any other category of prescriber. In short, microinfluencers are much more likely to appear across social media timelines and their opinions have more weight than that of other influencers, although their reaches are lower.
How to work with microinfluencers.
In addition to having more relevance, microinfluencers also charge much less than a celebrity would ask to support a campaign. This means that more and more brands choose to share their budget among several microinfluencers instead of placing it all with a macroinfluencer, which may not be as influential as they promise.
But… How to manage a campaign with microinfluencers? Here are some basic steps:
- Design the campaign: the first step is to define the target audience you want to reach, the messages you want to communicate and the channels you will use to achieve it.
- Select the microinfluencers: look for profiles that are well positioned in their niche market, have an active community and are willing to collaborate with brands.
- Agree the collaboration: what will you offer to the microinfluencers in exchange for their help? Money is not always required: sometimes they are happy to receive samples, gifts, invitations, etc.
- Develop the materials: collaborate with the microinfluencer to create the correct materials for the campaign. What works best is the video and the visual content.
- Launch the campaign: it is important that you accompany the microinfluencer throughout the process and be attentive to react to the contingencies with real-time PR.
- Measure the results: as in any marketing action, the measurement is essential to know if the campaign works (traffic, mentions, engagement, etc.)
The good thing about this profile is that there are lots to choose from and they are within reach of any budget: bloggers, instagrammers, youtubers… The choice is yours!
What microinfluencers are you following? Tell us what your favorites are on social media!